You’ve got that itch to buy a drone, but you don’t want to spend your whole paycheck right? Check out these quick drone reviews below, they are the best drones under $50 you’ll find with some awesome features to boot.
But First…before we get into all that, let’s take a look at what features you can expect from a drone in this price range.
I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised, drones used to be stupid expensive but now with the technology more widely available the prices are very reasonable.
If your in a hurry and want the best drone for under $50, my recommendation is the Holy Stone HS150 Bolt Bee. This mini racing drone is super fast and can achieve speeds of approximately 30mph. Additional feature include Headless mode allowing pilots of really any level to safely control the drone. The 6-Axis gyro enables it to be extremely stable during flight making it even easier to control. The Bolt Bee is the best drone under $50 in my humble opinion.
What to Expect From These Drones?
Let’s be honest, a drone in this price range isn’t going to compete with a DJI Mavic, these are mostly for practice or flying indoors. However, they are still very good drones that are packed with some nice features.
Here are a few features to consider from a drone under $50.
Will my drone have a camera?
Do you expect a camera on a drone in this price range? Well, there are some that come with a camera like the ScharkSpark below.
Keep in mind that these are budget drones so while you may be able to take pictures and record video, it may not be of the highest quality. These drones are basically to practice your flying skills.
If a camera doesn’t interest you, some you can remove and actually improve flight time.
What is my drones flight time?
These are small quadcopters, so your flight time will generally be in the range or 7 to 8 minutes.
There are ways to improve this time, like adding a higher capacity battery, but this will cost money and defeat the purpose of buying one of these drones in the first place.
If your looking for a drone with a longer flight time then you’ll need to upgrade to a more expensive model, like the MJX Bugs. This model will give you 18 minutes per charge.
How long does it take to charge?
Drones in this category have the batteries that take about 45 minutes to charge. A USB cable is provided that allows you to hook into a computer or laptop to charge the drone.
Of course, if you’re in a hurry you can buy additional batteries and have them at the ready when needed. Just swap out the low battery for a fully charged one and you back flying in no time.
When finished for the night, have the batteries on the charger so they are ready for your next flying session.
How far can I fly?
As these are not professional drones, they don’t offer a high amount of control range. They mostly have the range of 50 meters.
In this control range, you can easily fly in your backyard, or even in a local park. Controller quality and radio signal strength determine the control range which can vary in different brands.
What is Headless Mode?
Headless mode is essentially a feature that allows you to fly your drone without having to worry about the orientation at all. You can fly in any direction without having to worry about which side is the front.
This mode is especially useful for new drone pilots, which is perfect feature for these budget drones because this is generally who will be buying these drones.
As you gain more experience you can start to fly with the standard controls. Some consider headless mode as cheating, but for a newbie it’s ok for a little while.
How to Choose Your Drone?
Now that we know what to expect from a drone under $50, here are a few additional items you should be familiar with before you click that buy button.
- It should have maximum fight time per fully-charged battery in this price range.
- See how much the spare batteries are going to cost you. Purchase them according to your needs and budget.
- How much battery recharging time the drone you are considering is offering?
- Check out the control ranges of different drones. Pick one with the best range.
- Consider the construction material. See if the craft is strong and crash resistant.
- Check on the availability of replacement parts and how much they would cost you if you needed them.
- Find out how the drone is controlled. Is it only through the controller or there are more ways also?
- Figure out if you want one with a camera and video recording capabilities.
- It should be easy to operate.
- Check the ratings and reviews for the options you are bearing in mind.
The Best Ways To Use These Drones
First-timers often end up crashing their quadcopters in their first few attempts, no big deal really, it happens to the best of us. Follow the tips below to fly like a pro.
Use manual mode with caution
If you’re a new drone pilot, it may be too early for standard controls. This mode is meant for more experienced pilots. Take your time to understand all the controls before making that jump into manual mode.
When you do make that jump, its best to practice in open area without many obstacles in your way.
Obstacles like thin ropes, telephone lines, and other hard to see objects can ruin your first flight. Be aware of the environment you are flying in.
For the first practice flight, it is better to choose the place where there are no stumbling blocks.
Avoid practicing around people
Drones draw people’s attention that can be distracting for you. Stay away from the crowds to avoid any kind of accident.
Keep a check on the battery
Battery life of these beginner’s drones is not too long. Keep checking the battery status during flights. In most cases when the battery starts to drain it’ll slowly descend and not be a big issue.
However if you drone is far off and goes down over water or tall grass it could be a goner, keep a close watch and you’ll be safe.
Best Drones Under $50
Now that we know exactly what to look for in a drone under $50, lets get to the fun part. All these are excellent choices for you first drone to practice with.
These quadcopters are packed with fantastic features that will help you become a better pilot.
Without further Ado…
ScharkSpark Drone with Camera, Live Video
Its incredible features make it a great choice for newbies. Its remote controlling system with notes printed with buttons makes it easy and friendly to fly.
Its camera and wifi feature enable you to display live videos on your Android or iOS device. Moreover, you can adjust the camera direction to take photos.
It also features a headless mode which allows having control when the craft is out of sight.
What makes it even more amazing is one key return home. Your lost drone is just a click away with this feature. Just push the button and get the drone back home.
What’s more, you can release the control and let the drone float in the air.
- You can take off and land just with one button.
- It offers 3 speeds modes for the pilots of all skill levels.
- Its high speed enables the drone to stay stable in windy conditions.
- It allows you to take pictures and videos.
- It supports both iOS and android phone.
- It features LED navigation light for the night flights.
- The flight time is very low i.e. 6-8 minutes.
- The camera is just 2 MP.
Mould king Mini RC Drone, eBoTrade 2.4 GHz
With 2.4 G frequency and 5 minutes flight time, this drone is easy to set up in just a few steps. You can fly it in any direction, even flip it 360 °.
If for any reason you cannot recognize the direction, just turn its headless mode on. This Mini RC Drone also features LED light design which allows you to practice even at night.
Its battery charging time is 30 to 50 minutes and the control range is 30 meters. Another great feature of this drone is 12 months warranty with 30 days money back guarantee
- Just a few steps and it is ready to take flight.
- You can flip it 360 °.
- It features headless mode.
- Its LED light design lets you play at night.
- It offers 12 months warranty and 30 days money-back guarantee.
- It doesn’t include a camera, neither does it have Wi-Fi.
- The flight time is just 5 minutes.
- Control range is low as well.
LBLA FPV Drone with Wifi Camera Live Video
LBLA FPV drone has a log to to offer in terms of features, such as 480P HD camera which enables you to take decent quality images and stream them to the phone using Wi-Fi.
Furthermore, its built in altitude hold function makes the drone hover when the throttle is released. Looking for headless mode? It’s got it!
Its 3.7V 550mAh battery lets you enjoy the flight for 6 to 8 minutes. It takes 120 minutes to fully charge the battery.
This Remote controlled or APP controlled quadcopter has a range of 50 meters. It’s also equipped with a one-key return feature that won’t let you lose your drone. Just touch the button and the drone returns home. Nice!!!
- Equipped with 480P HD camera and WiFi streaming.
- Headless mode for better control.
- Altitude hold function lets it float in ait at current height.
- One-key return feature to have it back once you lose the sight.
- It takes too much time to charge the battery.
- The max flight time is just 6 to 8 minutes.
- It doesn’t offer LED light navigation.
Holy Stone Mini RC Helicopter Drone – HS170 Predator
Holy stone is a good deal in terms of flexibility and stability. It is equipped with 2.4GHz Technology and 6-Axis Gyro Stabilization System.
It offers wind-resistant control range which is about 30 to 50 meters. It is a good drone for beginners with 6 to 8 minute flight time and 45 to 60 minutes charging time.
For additional information on this particular drone, check out our reviews for indoor drones. The Holy Stone HS170 was our top pick in this round up.
ScharkSpark Drone for Beginners
Are you looking for the drone with extra flying time? ScharkApark is the option for you. This one offers a little better flight time than the rest with about 10 to 13 minutes.
What also nice, is the the battery takes just 60 minutes to get fully charged.
The flights are more stable with its latest 6-axis gyro flight control system. This craft is quite user-friendly for novice pilots.
The nose direction and forward direction are unrelated once its headless mode is on. It also has altitude hold function so it will not drift down when the stick is released.
It has an easy take off and land feature with the touch of just one button.
- The flying time is 10 to 15 minutes.
- It offers stable flights with 6-axis gyro flight system.
- Headless mode is in the list of features as well.
- Just 60 minutes are required to fully charge the battery.
- One key take off/land makes control easier for beginners.
- It also includes Altitude Hold function.
- 100 meters Transmitter operation range.
- No camera and WiFi system.
Holy Stone Bolt Bee Mini Racing Drone – HS150
Holy stone is the choice for you if you want to own a racing drone. Its High power motors are capable of achieving the speed of 30MPH.
This awesome drone comes standard with 2PCS of Modular Li-Po Battery which essentially doubles it’s flying time.
Another fun feature is the 3D rolling, you can flip the Bolt Bee in four directions (left, right, forward, and backward).
What’s more, its headless mode and total control? Better handling and extended controlled distance make it the best drone under $50.
Also, it offers great stability with 2.4GHz 6 Axis Gyro. The flight timing is 5-7 minutes and 90 minutes are required to charge the battery.
- Easy to install and store.
- Equipped with 5-speed
- Has modularized and powerful battery.
- Features headless mode and 3D flip.
- 4GHz 6 Axis Gyro for great stability.
- Allows you to perform stunts.
- It doesn’t come with the camera.
- It has low flight timing.
- Low battery life.
Holy Stone HS190 Foldable Mini Nano RC Drone
This foldable and easy to carry Holy Stone drone comes with excellent features. Its powerful altitude hold function will not let it crash in the ground.
The first-timers with low skills can take advantage of its One Key Takeoff / Landing function which makes it easy to control.
You will not ever lose this palm-sized drone as its one key return feature would get it back to you from wherever it goes. Headless mode is also there to make the operation easy.
Its high-speed rotation makes the fight even more interesting as you can do 360° circle and fly at high speeds. The play time is 5-7 minutes and control is about 30-50 meters.
- Provides three different speed modes.
- It is foldable and portable.
- It has LED lighting system.
- 2 ways to charge the battery.
- It is easy to control.
- Features altitude hold function and headless mode.
- Battery recharge timing is low.
- No camera.
- May bounce around while landing.
- Low playing time.
Cheerwing CW10 Mini Drone
This mini-drone has tons of advanced features to offer. It has this amazing APP control mode which enables the craft to fly without a remote control.
It also has gravity induction mode which allows you to control the drone’s movements in correspondence to your phone’s direction. Additionally, Wifi Camera and Support VR Headset is there to watch a live streaming video feed of the flight.
You have full control over this little quadcopter with altitude hold mode on. It makes the aerial photography and videography easy for newbies. It is also suitable for kids.
Besides, you just have to press a button to take off or land. Plus, it is equipped with custom flight route mode in which you give the flight direction on the screen and the drone automatically fly’s that way.
- Speed adjusting feature.
- Can fly without a remote control.
- Can be controlled by your phone’s movement.
- Range alarm notifies you in case it is losing control.
- Live streaming on your phone with wifi camera and support VR headset.
- Very low play time.
- The camera is only 0.3 megapixel.
Syma Small drones X21 (black)
With 6-Axis Gyro Stabilization System, Syma small drone makes is easy to play for the players of any level.
The LED lights work great for night flights. It leaves an amazing landscape in the sky as well.
Headless mode and auto hover function are also included in its features. The drone will take off and go back to the position where it took off with just one button.
You can also enjoy 3D rolling. It also gives low-voltage protection. The indicator lights start flashing when the battery is low. It will automatically descend and land slowly without crashing.
- It can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- It is easy to operate and control.
- It gives low-voltage protection.
- LED lights for night flights.
- It can perform 360° 3D rolling.
- No camera and Wi-Fi.
- Battery lasts for only a few minutes.
All the above-mentioned drones have excellent features that a new pilot would need for training. We have shortlisted some best drones under $50 which can fulfill your requirements as a newbie.
However, we cannot put all of them on the same rank. One of these has to be at the top and we choose Holy Stone HS150 Bolt Bee.
The Bolt Bee is a brilliant option in terms of speed, control & stability. Additionally the bonus battery that is included doubles your flying time.