Going out on a hike? Exploring the rocky new terrain, your drive for excitement side might be begging you to take your RC car with you. However, your more intellectual side knows that RC cars have their limitations, even the off-road ones.
There is a different option! Rock crawlers are specialized remote control vehicles that deliver true to their promise of allowing you to drive on the rockiest of terrains. Read ahead to learn more about our compilation of the best RC rock crawlers.
All the crawlers you see on this page are good options, but the crawler we find ourselves recommending more than any other is the Redcat Everest. It’s probably one of best RC rock crawlers for both a beginner or a season driver.
What is an RC Rock Crawler?
An RC Rock Crawler is a radio-controlled vehicle with a special climbing feature. They are designed to climb rocks, overcome all kinds of obstacles, and tackle different kinds of terrain. However, they are not intended for racing as they move at a slow pace. Nevertheless, you can still find some on the market that are faster than most.
Here is a quick YouTube video demonstrating what RC Rock Crawling is all about.
Types of a RC Crawlers:
An RC crawler is a broad term that is used to define either of the following.
- Technical Rock Crawlers: Technical rock crawling involves getting your RC vehicle over near-impossible obstacles and terrain.
- Rock Racers: Rock racers are purpose-built machines that combine the speed of the off-road cars with the ability to tackle obstacles. Rock racing is a kind of full-scale racing.
- Trail Rigs: Trail rigs are slower, yet powerful. They can tackle the highest of boulders and the trickiest of terrains. They are not meant to be used as competition machines.
Buying Guide for the Best RC Rock Crawlers:
The industry has new crawlers coming out periodically that are decked out with more features than ever before. However, more features does not always mean better performance. There are many things to consider when buying a rock crawler. There are different types of these monster machines, including toy versions for kids and advanced versions for adults with a love for this hobby. So, how do you find out which is the best rc rock crawler for yourself?
The first step should be to consider the amount of money you are willing to spend on a crawler. Something to consider is how often you will be using it. If you will be, then perhaps it is better to invest in a more durable version. These may be more expensive, however, they make up for it in their reliability. Toy versions are best if you have smaller budget, or just a sudden craving for a crawler and know that you will not be using it as much.
Another factor to consider is whether you are willing to assemble your own RC crawler or want to buy it premade. The kit versions give you a chance at learning how the crawler works and allows you the liberty to make the changes you wish. If it gets damaged, you will know exactly how to fix it. The RTR or ready to run version is better if you want a hassle-free setup.
If you wish to race with a rock crawler, then perhaps the rock racers will be a better option for you. If you simply wish to conquer tricky terrains and rocks, then you can buy any type of rock crawler. Look at the wheelbase and the ground clearance it provides you in order to determine which one to choose because the ground clearance gives you a good idea of how high it can climb.
If you are a beginner at RC cars and still have not mastered them completely, we recommend that you stick with it. RC crawlers are hard to handle and can be tricky when it comes to climbing. It would be better to start with RTR toy crawlers as they are inexpensive and you can afford to crash them in the learning process. For experienced users, we would recommend a Nitro kit crawler as they provide more independence to the user.
Nitro vs Electric Crawlers:
There are two main types of crawlers available on the market: nitro and the electric Crawlers. The following table summarizes the pros and cons of the two versions.
Pros & Cons
- Ideal for Beginners
- Easy to Use
- Mostly Waterproof
- Green and Environmentally Friendly
- Cheaper Repairs
- Faster than Electric
- Longer Run Times
- High Powered
- Aluminum Chassis
- Expensive Repairs
- Expensive Batteries
- Have to recharge often
- Take a while to recharge
- Complex to Learn
- Requires more Maintenance
- Can be Loud
- More expensive to Buy
For beginners, we would recommend the electric version as it is easier to use. All you need to do is change the batteries before you take it out. For experts, we would suggest upgrading to nitro as they are faster.
Advantages of a Rock Crawler:
- Rock crawlers can counter the toughest obstacles on all kinds of rugged terrains where the usual RC car can not.
- The whole family will find it entertaining and can be something to be bonded over.
- It can help enhance hand-eye coordination for those who have difficulty in this area.
- It can be an effective way for combating stress.
- You can learn about the modern technology it encompasses such as the ESC, radio controllers and other electronic components.
Redcat Racing Everest-10 Electric Rock Crawler:
When it comes to rock stomping, boulder crunching rock crawlers, perhaps only few can compare with the Redcat Racing Everest. The superior aluminum chassis is light and provides the stability it needs to conquer the toughest of rocks without being too heavy.
Exclusively designed for RC fanatics, it features waterproof electronics to help you cover all kinds of terrains. The electric brushed motor as well as the four-wheel transmission drive ensure you get the best out of this rock climbing monster.
In addition, it features aluminium capped oil-filled shocks as well as complete ball bearings to provide you with a ground clearance of 90 mm and a wheelbase of 320 mm. The size of this RC machine is about 1/10 scale which is ideal for all types of terrains. Yet, the best part of this RC car is that it is fully assembled and ready to run. No time wasted trying to set it up!
- Ready to run and fully assembled.
- Features a clearance of about 90 mm.
- Suitable for all types of terrains.
- Features waterproof components as well as shock absorbers.
- Included beadlock rock climbing tires.
- The servo system might cause some problems for some users.
Exceed RC MaxStone 4WD RC Rock Crawler:
The Exceed RC MaxStone was exclusively designed to offer users with a competition capable rock crawler. The four-wheel driving mechanism offers a solid grip to the tires to help you take on the toughest of boulders.
The multi-link suspension system and the complete ball bearing structure distributed throughout the body of the vehicle allows for smoother crawling. The Exceed is also durable, with a solid axle mount that effectively protects the front and rear end of the vehicle.
The Exceed RC includes waterproof electronic components, as well as super long Nitride, coated shocks to offer a wide range of motion. The crawler features a high precision electronic speed controller that provides it with the high torque angle of 90 degrees. The wheelbase is at 200 mm. Also included is an RC540 motor as well as a 7.2 V Ni-MH battery. All in all, the features are truly designed for professional racers and RC drivers.
- Comes fully assembled.
- Allows for a smoother crawling motion due to the incredible suspension system.
- Included waterproof components as well as shock absorbers.
- High precision ESC and servo steering system.
- Durable aluminum chassis with solid protection for the body.
- Suitable for all terrains.
- The battery time is merely one hour in comparison to other batteries that can last up to two hours.
DOUBLE E 4 Wheel Drive RC Rock Crawler:
The Double E 4 Wheel Drive RC Rock Crawler is perhaps one of the most reliable products in the industry. The crawler is designed exclusively to deliver the best off-road performance. The car features a strong and stable four-wheel drive that includes front and rear motors.
These motors provide strong powered torque to help you strive for all kinds of terrains. The independent suspension system included with the car prevents any damage by controlling all kinds of vibrations. It is equipped with a high capacity rechargeable 6 V battery. The charging time for the battery is about 2 – 3 hours while the playing time is 25 – 30 minutes.
The radio system is a 2.4 GHz one with a range of up to 260 feet. The steering system is highly responsive and is extremely ergonomic for better handling. The Double E is perfect for kids as it is easy to use and is affordable as well without compromising on quality.
- Five featured functions: left/right, forward/ backward and climb.
- The controller is interference free with a range of up to 260 feet.
- Ergonomic steering system makes it easy to handle.
- Includes shockproof and anti-skid tires.
- Suspension system prevents any damage.
- Suitable for all terrains.
- Features only about 30 minutes of use.
DeXop Electric Rock Crawler:
The DeXop Electronic Rock Crawler is a rock crunching monster truck with a strong and sturdy body designed with dozens of screws that ensure the durability of the car. The high-quality raw materials contribute to extending the life of the car. The strong torque powered motor ensures the car can tackle all kinds of rugged terrains and perform different stunts as well. The four-wheel drive ensures freedom of movement in all kinds of direction.
The rubber tires are constructed using only the highest quality PVC material. They are earthquake resistant and can work efficiently against uneven grounds. The tire tread features a strong and firm grip as well as high friction. This lends to its anti-skid properties. The suspension system consisting of four independent springs make the car shockproof ensure all components are safe inside the body. The DeXop is equipped with a highly rechargeable battery. The charging time for the battery is 60 minutes while the play time is 20 minutes.
- Stable structure to lend durability to the car.
- Anti-skid, shock absorbent PVC tires.
- Shockproof independent spring system.
- Features an adjustable direction system.
- The range of the controller is 81 feet.
- Features only 20 minutes of use.
Axial Deadbolt 4WD – RC Rock Crawler (SCX10):
If you are looking for a fun way to spend your breaks between hikes, then perhaps, this built is for an average RC fan. Featured in the RC crawler are WD8 HD Wild boar front and rear drive shafts with a large diameter for added strength. The Steel C Channel Chassis frame is constructed out of steel and features a very simplified design. The wheelbase is at 12 inches and provides a ground clearance of about 68 mm.
Four-wheel drive ensures freedom of movement in rough terrains. Also featured is a 2.4 GHz radio controller that has a high steering servo. The tires and wheels are perhaps the most eye-catching features here. The axial features waterproof electric components that can help you in slippery situations. The durable transmission system with protective gear tops it all off with a nice finish!
- Features a steel design that is durable and simple.
- Ergonomic design and handling.
- Strong and sturdy tires with anti-skid features.
- Features waterproof components.
- Provides ground clearance of about 68 mm.
- It is not designed for hardcore off-road rock crawling.
Overall, the rock crawlers featured in this article are all of top quality. However, the Everest has beaten them all due to its versatility and durability.
The ready to run assembly of the car guarantees no hassles in the beginning. The ground clearance of about 90 mm is remarkable. This crawler deserves the recognition it currently enjoys on the market.
The shock absorbers and the ball bearing body ensures that the car can perform well on all kinds of terrain without damaging itself. So, if you wish to enjoy sunny afternoons with the adrenaline rush of conquering the biggest boulders, the Redcat is one of the best rc rock crawlers out there!